We just finished yet another of our toning test sessions. We took one of my silver gelatin prints and cut it into four pieces so that we could try out some different chemical combinations for a side by side comparison. Here are some of those results.
Taken with the I-phone, you can see the four sections side by side. The bottom left corner was our control and had absolutely nothing done to it at the time this was taken. The bottom right section was treated with copper toner only and turned a pretty shade of reddish pink. The copper toner by itself tends to take away the contrast and detail if the print is left in it too long. The top two images are more what we’re looking to achieve. Still using copper toner we used bleach, sepia and selenium in conjunction to get the results above. I know it’s hard to see and we will know more as they dry down.
This is a really bad image but it’s just to give you a closer look. We finally took the control section of the print and decided we wanted to see what it would do when we bleached it briefly, then into sepia for a short period of time and finally in the copper toner. We left it in the copper toner for a pretty long time to see what tones we would end up with.
In conclusion, some interesting results. This was our first go around with the copper toner and we now have more of an idea what it will give us and how we’re going to use it.