It’s been a very wet few days here in Florida which has made for perfect conditions for Marks to get some of our film developed and printed in the darkroom.
From my previous post you’ll see I’ve been experimenting with an infrared type of film, Ilford SFX. Not truly an infrared but perfect for practicing. From the results I got using this film with my brand new R72 opaque filter, I have an idea what to do and what not to do.
As the R72 filter is pretty much opaque, focusing was done prior to putting the filter on. Both of us also noticed that positioning of the image in relation to the sun was crucial for a good result. The first roll of Ilford SFX was shot with the Holga. I pretty much shot away as I had no real idea what to expect. This time I used my Mamiya 645 Pro TL. Here are a couple of the resulting images.
Taken from the shade of the path you can see the trees in the sun have taken on this “other worldly” quality. I love the ethereal beauty of this scene. This image was scanned from the silver gelatin print and no post production was done to alter the image. Just dust removal.
Technical details can be found here:-
The next one was my first shot of the day. This was taken early in the morning (just before we ran into a group of wild hog). It was taken from an observation platform which overlooks the mud flats which are under water during high tide.
This is such a dramatic look to my eyes. You’re going to have to take my word for this, the digital upload does not do this any justice. Actually in most cases, converting analog to digital loses something in the translation. The Moersch Tanol film developer we have been using creates an edge effect. You can see that on this print clearly. The trees look like someone drew them with a charcoal pencil, each edge clearly defined. The sky had a high layer of haze, invisible to the eye, but obviously visible to the film.
Timings and technical details can be found here:-
Enjoy the weekend everyone.