I thought it would be interesting to post some of the images from our “drive by” shootings of historical buildings found in our local area. Although a young country by European standards, we are lucky to have some older buildings that have not been torn down and replaced with new and ugly. This is one of them. I have always found this building fascinating.
Daytona Beach Post Office
The Daytona Beach Post Office was built during the depression in 1932 as a WPA (Works Project Administration). It was built in the Mediterranean Revival Style. The architect was Harry M. Griffin. The front portico is faced with limestone from the Florida Keys. There are five arched windows on the first floor facing the street and features 4 cast iron light fixtures (one of which is pictured above) on limestone stands on either side of the two front entrances. It was added to the United States National Registry of Historic Places on June 30th 1988.
Close Up Detail
Above is a close up of the detail on the pillars found between the arched windows on the first floor.
One of the two entrances
We hope you enjoyed a peek into one of Central Florida’s historical buildings. We will be posting more as we come across them.
Shooting and darkroom information can be found here:-
Enjoy the weekend 🙂
I can honestly tell you that putting your back out is no fun. It’s also not caused by any strenuous exercise which I usually do on a daily basis. On the contrary, something as simple as grocery shopping can cause this. Housework, vacuuming, taking out the trash are just a few of the culprits. I’m now on day three and marginally better. Obviously a slow recuperation. Sitting is still a chore, but then so is lying down. Of course, none of this has anything to do with today’s post.
Here’s another from our darkroom toning session.
Oak Burl in Copper
The above image shows a close up of the burl on the oak tree we have shown in earlier posts. We gave this a split toning effect with sepia and copper. This toning process took on a warm brown tone which we felt really enhances the beautiful bark and detail on this close up.
Mamiya 645 Pro TL, 80 mm Mamiya 1:2.8 Sekor Lens, Ilford HP5 @ 200 developed in D76.
This image was toned using a combination of bleaching back to take down the highlights, sepia toning and finishing off with copper toner. I posted all the timings for those interested in toning work on my Flickr site:-
Have a happy, healthy day everyone. 😉
Burls on any tree can be fascinating to photograph. They are, however, a form of stress which can be caused by an injury, virus or fungus. As well as being great photographic subjects, burls are often also highly priced by sculptors, furniture makers and artists.
Oak Tree Burls
The sunlight filtering through the trees did make for challenging exposure conditions but I am pleased with the overall result. The lighting lends to the beautiful textures found on this tree.
This image was another one we used the copper toner on in conjunction with the sepia to simulate an overall woodsy tone.
I took this with the Mamiya 645 Pro TL, 80 mm Mamiya 1:2.8 Sekor Lens, Ilford HP5 @ 200 developed in D76. Timing and technical details can be found on my Flickr site. http://www.flickr.com/photos/jcsilverspring1/8481119111/in/photostream
I know you’re wondering why this post is titled “Lord of the Rings Roots”. These roots reminded me so much of the forest you see in these movies. Really amazing huge root structures bubbling up out of the ground ready to trip you up. Almost like their feet grew too large for their shoes. Nooks and crannies hidden within their base could, and might, hold mythical creatures.
Lord of the Rings Roots
This image is one of our experiments with the copper toner we used. The copper toner, unlike the sepia, gives us a bit more control over the resulting tones. Sepia can take on more red tones when used alone, and has to be carefully timed, whereas the copper tends to give us more control and we prefer the browner tones. As we tend to shoot a lot of trees and nature scenes, we’re tending towards the browner tones which are more reminiscent of the subjects portrayed.
We obtained the above result by bleaching the silver gelatin print, then sepia toning it briefly and finishing it off with copper toner. This resulted in the more carbon like tones as seen above. We just love the tones on this one.
I took this with the Mamiya 645 Pro TL, 80 mm Mamiya 1:2.8 Sekor Lens, Ilford HP5 @ 200 developed in D76. Timing and technical details can be found on my Flickr site (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jcsilverspring1/8476377764/in/photostream).
Enjoy the weekend and thanks for visiting.